Saturday, February 21, 2015

Singing to the Creation

Have you ever thought about how large a roll singing plays in the world? We sing when we mourn, and we sing when we worship but most of all we sing when we are happy. God intended it to be that way and shows us by example how to rejoice and share our happiness.

Can you imagine the first morning Adam awoke in the Garden of Eden and heard the birds singing? Can you imagine God walking through the garden and humming to himself as he enjoys his creation? I must admit that it is somewhat of a stretch of even my active imagination, but do you think HE just might have?

God tells us through Isaiah 49:13: "Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the Lord has comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted."

Our son Kirk shared this little incident that happened with our granddaughter Allison last week: "So I have picked up my 7 year old daughter Allison and we are driving home. She is singing happily to herself when she suddenly decides to talk about her future employment and career options. She says to me, "I do like singing. But I also really like science! I guess I could sing to the creatures I create." Apparently I am the proud father of a budding mad scientist! "

If the mind of a child can imagine that, why not the mind of God? There is a scripture we primarily read at Christmas time, but I want you to think of it in a different way. What's the scripture? Luke 2:1-14: "And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; You shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

I believe God was happy and rejoicing as the heavenly host sang to His creation sharing his Joy. That's why the angels sang. 

So how often do you sing, maybe not to "your creation," but sing because you rejoice or are just happy? James counsels us: "Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise." (James 5:13) Maybe a better question might be, are you happy in your life or with your relationship to your creator? If you are, then sing, it's what God intended.


No comments:

Post a Comment