Thursday, September 17, 2015



 I have been a fan of Science Fiction most of my life. I like the ability it gives me to dream of places I will never see and imagine things that are greater than our world. It allows me to travel in space in my mind and participate in heroic adventures.

One of the concepts that has been used more in the past few years is the concept of an element called "Unobtanium". You can actually find the word in the dictionary and it is defined in this way: "Since the late 1950s, aerospace engineers have used the term "unobtainium" when referring to unusual or costly materials, or when theoretically considering a material perfect for their needs in all respects, except that it does not exist." Laughingly "Unobtainium is described as being stronger than helium and lighter than airium". The term came more to the forefront of thought by its use to describe the element they were mining in the movie "Avatar".

To many people God is like Unobtanium. The idea of someone loving them for who they are with no reservations is like Unobtanium. The idea of having all of the bad things they have done in their lives erased and starting with a clean slate is much like Unobtanium, something which just does not exist.

We are not alone when we struggle with that problem. Even the Apostle Paul struggled with this issue in his life. Notice what he says in Romans 7:24: "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?"

Isn't that the same things we want to know? Who will rescue us from this body that is subject to death?"

Paul continues in verse 25a with the answer to the problem. He tells us how to find the Unobtaniam. He writes: "Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord."

We sing a song in our churches that says: "He is able to deliver me!" But far too often we really don't believe it. God's word says that if we serve him, when we die, we are going to heaven! Do you really believe that, or are you one of those who say, "I hope I am." Heaven is not unobtainable, it is a free gift, a promise to those who love God and obey his word.

Let me share one last verse that is so very hard for some to really, really believe. John says in 1 John 5:13: "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life!" Like the old fellow said, "God said it, I believe it and that settles it!"


How would you like to get your share of Unobtainium? It's there waiting for you to Obey God and serve him.

No comments:

Post a Comment