Thursday, April 30, 2015

"X" marks the spot


As I view our society, it seems like there are so many people who really have no direction in there lives. They may have a general idea that they are traveling through life, but with out a goal or a finial destination in mind. Many people (especially young people) seem to have a sense of "lostness" about them. You asked them what they are doing with their lives and they will tell you, "I'm going to school", or "I on a sports team". If you asked them, "Well, what are you going to do after that," some may tell you they are going for a higher education, but it seems most really don't know.

It's not much different for those who are older. If you ask many people about their3 plans, the answer is "to retire". If you ask, "Then what", they really have no answer, other that to say they want to visit some place.

The story is told about Albert Einstein, the brilliant physicist of Princeton University in the early 20th century. Einstein was traveling from Princeton on a train, and when the conductor came down the aisle to punch the passengers’ tickets, Einstein couldn’t find his. He looked in his vest pocket, he looked in his pants pocket, he looked in his briefcase, but there was no ticket. The conductor was gracious; "Not to worry, Dr. Einstein, I know who you are, we all know who you are, and I’m sure you bought a ticket."

As the conductor moved down the aisle, he looked back and noticed Einstein on his hands and knees, searching under the seat for his ticket. The conductor returned to Einstein; "Dr. Einstein, Dr. Einstein, don’t worry. I know who you are. You don’t need a ticket, I’m sure you bought one." Einstein arose and said "Young man, I too know who I am; what I don’t know is where I am going."

So where are you going? Einstein was looking for his ticket to tell him. Me, I prefer to look at the map for my life given by God. When you spend time with God's word, it is much like reading a treasure map. We try and get to the place where "X" marks the spot to find the treasure. That's where I'm trying to go! I like treasure (if it's the right kind).

I don’t know about you, but I treasure peace, happiness, kindness, love, fellowship; a relationship with God and family and friends. As I thought about this list I realized that "things" are not on my list of treasures. I guess there is a reason for that… Jesus understood this and that why he said what he did in Matthew 6:21, "Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be."

So, where are you going? Where is your treasure? I hope it is the right place and you are following the right map.


No comments:

Post a Comment