Thursday, January 28, 2016

Genesis or Genesis



The company I work for uses a computer program called Genesis. It operates the cash registers, inventory searches, customer data bases and much more. The problem I've had in learning this program is there doesn't appear to be any manual or even basic instruction forms. If you learn something on the program it is because someone has shown you how to use it. I've asked everyone from my manager on down and no one knows anything about any instruction manual.

I have been taking notes and writing codes and keystrokes down in a small note pad I carry with me with intension of putting it into a better form sometime. So, this afternoon things were a little slow and I started compiling my few notes into a written basic instruction file. I titled the page, "Notes on Genesis".

Here's what surprised me at the end of the day. I have a coworker who has been there a few months longer than I and we have talked about this problem. So at the end of the day I shared my notes with him and his reaction surprised me (a good surprise). He said, "I saw that title when I walked by and thought you must be working on a lesson for your church."

Isn't it a great thing when people see you doing something and assume it must be a spiritual or Godly thing! Far too often it seems that people assume the worst, they really don't think of us in terms of spirituality.

What do folks around you think about you? Do they recognize the priorities in your life? But then, maybe that's the problem, they do recognize the priorities in your life and they aren’t what you thought they were. Maybe you wouldn't be proud of what people recognize as your priorities if you knew what they thought.

That may fall into the instructions of Jesus in Matthew 5:16 where he says: "In the same way, let your light shine in front of others. Then they will see the good things you do. And they will praise your Father who is in heaven."


So what are we putting forth in our lives, Genesis or Genesis, God's priorities or your own? 

No comments:

Post a Comment