Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Change is inevitable, but not always good.


We live in a world where change is a constant. No matter what area of life to which you look, you will see change, change is inevitable, you can't stop it, but I would suggest that you can control how it affects your life to some degree.

The thing with change is that if it is going on around you, you often don't notice it happening. Having lived in Africa for a number of years we were perhaps more aware of changes in America. These changes were more evident to us when we visited, than those who are living in the midst of them. For example: On one of our furlough trips we stopped at a restaurant while traveling. I went to pay our bill and in front of me were a family with teenage children. The daughter had thong underwear pulled up on her hips and shorts that were worn far too low. Somewhat embarrassed for them I thought, “This must be a poor family, they can't afford clothes that fit their children.” Of course later I found that this was a “fashion statement”.

I realize that I am somewhat “older” than some of you, and maybe I am “behind the times” and an “old fogie,” but I don't see this as a good change.

Not long after returning to live in America we attended a funeral (the first after returning). We dressed in a way we felt was appropriate, you know what they used to call “church clothes.” I wore dress slacks, a tie and jacket and my wife wore a dress. We walked in and were shocked because there were young women there wearing halter tops, short shorts and flip flops. Apparently the “dress with respect” aspect of our society had shifted even more. And again, I don't see this change as a good thing.

Another change I noted is how folks dress in our bible studies and worship assemblies. Now I realize that there are no “clothing guidelines” in the bible, other than to behave decently and modestly and I certainly am not suggesting that we try and mandate any. But I am suggesting that modesty be considered regarding proper attire for those who claim to be in the presence of God. I thought to myself the other day, I wonder how folks would dress if they really thought that Jesus was going to be there when they arrived? Of course we know he is, isn't he?

Now I realize that this is a very subjective and personal observation, because what I feel is modest or decent may not be the same thing you think it is. When we were in Africa I saw a man leading the song service wearing a woman's, short, sheer negligee instead of a shirt. He didn't know what it was, it came in a good will box from America and he thought it was better than the one tee shirt he had with holes in it. I saw a man wearing a pair of ladies maternity pants with the large elastic panel on the front, because again he didn't know what they were and they were nice pants with no holes. I however know better and wouldn't wear those things.

All of this is to suggest that perhaps the changes as to what is acceptable in our world may not always be good things. And, I would ask that you consider how your attire is perceived by those around you. Paul puts it this way, “We are free to do all things, but there are things which it is not wise to do. We are free to do all things, but not all things are for the common good. Let a man give attention not only to what is good for himself, but equally to his neighbor’s good.” (1 Corinthians 10:23-24 - BBE)


No comments:

Post a Comment