Thursday, July 28, 2016

Sharing the story



The our young adults group in our church have asked each of the elders and their wives to come and share the story of their Journey to faith. So we have been taking turns and doing that every few weeks.

Last night was my wife and my night to do this….I didn’t feel that I had much to share, but they asked a lot of questions and drew out more information that I had thought about sharing.

It was a good time to be together and they said they felt that they got to know us on a more personal level now. Hopefully it will help them in their walk of faith.

Often when we talk about “sharing our faith” we seem to classify it as mainly “Witnessing to someone about what God has done to make you follow him”. It doesn’t seem like very often we just share what changed our lives does it?

If I asked you, “Tell me how you met your wife or husband.” Most wouldn’t have a problem doing that. “If I asked you to share what drew you to them to become their spouse you could probably do that too.

What if we approached sharing the Gospel like that? What if, rather than trying to memorize a lot of scripture to try and teach someone we just told them why Jesus was so important to us and how he changed our lives?

Could you do that? Remember the woman at the well in John 4:29- 30, She simply said: “Come and see a man who told me everything I ever did! Could He possibly be the Messiah?’  So the people came streaming from the village to see Him.”

This woman didn’t quote scripture, she hadn’t been to a class on evangelism… she just told folk what Jesus had done for her. Could you do the same?

What is your message? What is proclaimed through your life? Do people see that in some way you have been changed and are curious enough to want to find out about that change? You see, before trying to change anyone else, we need to change ourselves and if it is a true change for the good, people will notice and follow.




No comments:

Post a Comment