Wednesday, June 14, 2023

 

Use words if necessary

By Russ Lawson


 

Several years back I read of a church that had the following sign hanging in front of their building. It read: “Preach the Gospel at all times... Use words if necessary”. What a great statement of what our lives should be about. It's not a new concept at all. Matthew 5:16 Jesus instructs his followers, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

 Maybe a way we could describe this is; it’s like when you want to sell your house and you have an open house for folks. You dust and sweep, mop and polish so folks will see how great your place is and want to buy it for their own. That is what Jesus is saying about our Christian lives. I want us to think about the whole message Jesus is giving to his listeners in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5:14-16 from a different perspective. One man tried to paraphrase Jesus’ message this way, Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.” (MSG) I think in this instance he captures the essence of Jesus’ message.

 Proverbs 27:19 has this to say, “As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart.”  Well… maybe it’s simpler to just say, “Preach the Gospel at all times... Use words if necessary,” How are you doing at letting your light shine? Sometimes I don’t do so well, but I’m trying to do better! I hope you are too.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment